Pages

Monday, July 23, 2012

Have you Filled a Bucket Today?

Another component that I love to incorporate in my classroom and now with my family is the book Have you Filled a Bucket Today?  The premise of this book is that everyone in the world, even your family pet, has in invisible bucket that they carry around with them each day. As friends we can either fill that persons buckets by helping them, saying nice things or just being a kind person. We can also dip into their buckets by being hurtful or mean.  Now here is the kicker... It explains that if you fill a bucket then it fills your bucket too. Being kind to others make you feel good too. On the flip side dipping into a bucket dips into your own bucket as well. The kids learn if I hurt someone it hurts me too. They quickly realize that it is not worth it to hurt others. They begin to go out of their way to help others because it feels so good for them.

With my little ones at home we have a family bucket. We each have our own colors of pom-poms and we are working together as a family to fill it. Anytime someone feels that their bucket has been filled by another family member then they can tell the other person to put a pom-pom in the bucket. Our goal is to fill the bucket so that we can celebrate together as a family at the Austin Children's Museum. The kids love this!!! It keeps the household much  more positive and loving. Now don't get me wrong siblings are the WORST bucket dippers I know. For some reason it is so much easier to be mean to your sister or brother than a friend at school, but we are getting better.



The girls received a present with the book, the bucket and a letter from Mr. Happy the bucket. Mr. Happy explianed to them that he needs them to be bucket fillers and taught them how to help one another. 

There is one more a-ha in this simple children's book. It explains that kids who have empty buckets are often the bucket dippers. Which means bullies act in that way because they feel awful about themselves. This idea often stopped me in my tracks as a teacher. When I read this for the first time last year I had just gotten on to a child in my class for not walking down the hall correctly. After I read the book he raised his hand and said "Mrs. Copeland my bucket is empty". It broke my heart because I knew that I had emptied it. Why would he want to do nice things for me and follow directions if his bucket was empty? It was a great reminder for me to treat kiddos the way that I want to be treated as well and to remember to be a bucket filler with everyone around me kids and adults alike. (Especially our husbands yikes!!)



There are also adult versions of this concept and more children's books that you can continue to read. I like to read them periodically. It is a good reminder for them and for me too!

No comments:

Post a Comment